Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What Type of Eyeliner is the Best for You?

Happy Wednesday Fabulous Readers!

Hello Everyone, Jessica here this week to talk all about eyeliners...and believe me I can tell you about them ALL! They have so many different types it can get crazy trying to decide what will be the best for the look you want to achieve. Plus, trial and error can be SO expensive. Don't worry, I have done the trial and error for you and now I will break it all down for you in this blog entry :)

 Let's start with pencil liners, specifically soft pencil liners...why would you go for the hard pencil kind now that we have so many better options out there?? The best soft pencil I have come across is from CoverGirl, the Perfect Point Plus Eyeliner.
It softly glides on with great ease and I can perfectly apply it on my water line (inner lower lid space). The other end of the stick is a angled sponge used to smudge the liner for a smoky look, plus it helps to manipulate the liner to spread evenly. I apply the pencil to my water line and go over and over it so the liner will flow perfectly below, onto my lower lid under my lashes.  You can even that our so the color (I always use black) is under the whole eye, or what I have been doing lately is making sure the darkest, thickest liner in in the outer corner or my eye and the least amount towards my inner corner of my eye. So I take the sponge part and wipe out most of the inner liner and spread it towards the outer corner of the eye. I will actually make a tutorial video on this and post it on our YouTube channel at the end of this month!
Another liner I pick up (if CoverGirl ran out of my Onyx color) is Maybelline Unstoppable, smudge-proof, stay-put, waterproof eyeliner.  I always set the liner with whatever color eyeshadow I put on for the day. Or sometimes, for fun I will use a bold color (like aqua) to line the lower lid just under the lashes.


Okay, so that is my lower eye liner use, now for the top lid. I always make sure I line the top water line as well, so it looks like I have no color gaps with the top lid liner and because it looks fuller, bolder and more dramatic. This technique is not for everyone, so if you are brave you can try it out. This, is difficult to do with pencil and liquid. The best eyeliners to do this job would be the eye cream/gel types applied with a brush...or better yet my new favorite is the Super Fat Eye Marker by NYX. It is exactly what it says, a fat marker! This is SO easy to use, I can line my upper waterline just by blinking into the marker. I LOVE IT! This is now my new eyeliner base, used to line the area I intend to use my liquid liner over. Yes, I use two liners...

So I use a liquid liner on top of my "base" line that I draw on with the NYX eye marker. This is because the look I want is dark and dramatic and liquid liner has by far given me the darkest, richest black look that I strive for. It really pops my blue eyes and I feel totally glamorous when I go out :) My bestie liquid liner? I have two, my fave low end one (when I have to pay rent but still need a new liner) is by mark (easily found at Avon), Get in Line Hook Up Liquid Waterproof Eyeliner. This comes with a fine, detailed brush that will go exactly where you place it, liquid always flows nicely down into the lashes making sure you have have that perfect line. Two major things you must know: 1) Liquid liner is VERY touchy and any shaky hand can ruin the look, that is why I always pre-line the area! 2) It NEEDS to dry! If you don't let this dry and you get it outside of the place you want it...good luck getting it off. Waterproof stays on and does not move, just as it claims. So unless you want to re-do the eye take the time to let it dry!
My high end one ("yes I have extra money let's blow it on makeup") is Kat Von D's Tattoo Liner. Her applicator is super easy to use, even without a "base line" and it is waterproof so it stays put after application. You can even use this on the body to make your own artistic temporary tattoo.

When it comes to my eyeliners I look for anything that says waterproof or long wearing/lasting. Of course it needs to be smudge-proof and basically just not move at all after I finish applying it!

Lastly, I want to talk about the new eyeliner craze of the cream/gel eyeliner pots. Again, I have a high end and low end favorite so anyone with a budget or without one can be happy. The high end pick is Tarte emphasEYES™ Amazonian clay waterproof liner. Said to be "Infused with micronized clay and reinforced by our natural waterproofing agent, these plush shadow/liners are a must for creating intense and long-lasting high definition eyes. Our high-performance natural™ Amazonian clay is nature's most perfect ingredient, lending deep color pigments while nourishing skin, reducing surface oil and improving overall texture for smooth application". I liked the way this felt and glided on, I bought a kit with a bunch of Tarte products so my mini size didn't come with a brush. I ended up using my brush that came with the low end cream/gel pot liner...
That takes me into what my fave low end gel/cream liner, which is  e.l.f. Studio Cream Eyeliner. Claims that "The cream formula creates smooth lines that are defined and precise. Smudge-proof, budge-proof and water-resistant coverage for all day wear to combat against sweat, tears or rain!".  This one actually came with a brush and the best part...it only cost $3!!! The website even gives you a how-to demo video on the product page! WOW...

Okay that is enough writing for me, I am very passionate about color cosmetics as you can see :) I hoped this helped and as always you can ask me anything or commnet on anything too!

Keep on Being Beautiful YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment